Sunday, June 14, 2009

Google Docs...Sign me up!

http://mwolk.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/google-docs-good-logo.jpg
This past week in Instructional Technology we learned about Google Docs. We played around with them a little bit and then used the program to create a hypothetical internet activity for a potential high school classroom. I love Google Docs. It is so easy to use. We also learned about Wikis this past week and I think they are sort of similar to Google Docs. They are similar in the fact that they both include pages on the internet that multiple people have access to and can make changes to. However I thought Wikis were a bit more confusing than Google Docs, but maybe it just has to do with the fact that I use Google a ton and I am really familiar with it. Anyways, I plan on using Google Docs a ton in the future. Like I said it is so easy and it is such a plus that the people in my group can do what post what they want and make corrections without having to send multiple drafts of an email.

As for my technology progress, I think I am kind of getting the hang of stuff. I know that I am placed at Hardin Valley Academy this fall and I think I could use a ton of this tech stuff in my classroom.

Here is a link to Hardin Valley's Media Center website that demonstrates how technology advanced they are: http://mediacenter.hardinvalleyac.knoxschools.org/modules/groups/integrated_home.phtml?&gid=508472&sessionid=4e423268ca96fd3ecd91050b6c3e9182&t=41e439229d7fab0bc608d9e366807198.

I have heard that they are a very tech savvy school, so I would love to be able to implement all of my new knowledge in my classroom. Hopefully I will continue to go forward and soak up as much new information as possible.

2 comments:

  1. I too prefer Google docs to wikis; Google docs seems less chaotic and messy. I bet you'll have a Smart Board at Hardin Valley.......how awesome will that be. I honestly have no idea what they do, but Powell also is using some. I wish we could get some experience using them before the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you will more than likely have access to a Smart Board/interactive whiteboard while you intern, and I regret the absence of interactive whiteboards in our 486 curriculum here at UT-Knoxville. But we can't teach it if we don't have it! You definitely have to be hands-on with the whiteboard to learn it. I spent about 30 minutes with one, just playing around, and it doesn't take long to learn the basics. Just jump in.

    Chelsea, you might be interested in this News-Sentinel article published last spring. It features technology and Hardin Valley teachers. You will love it there!

    ReplyDelete